Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Wiki Experience :)

Well first off, I didn’t have a partner for this assignment. I missed class the day partners were assigned, and go figure I was the only one who missed class that day. So I went about this on my own, which is okay, because I actually like working on assignments alone better. Sometimes when I work with a partner I feel like I can’t quite do something the way I might want it done. So this one is all me, and it is about something that really only I can write about.
This is an Actual Picture of my Town
                I chose to write my Wiki How on how to adjust from living in a small town to a large city like Buffalo. Now I know some of you are going to argue that Buffalo is not a large city, but for me it is. I grew up in a crazy small town. And when I saw small I mean small. Where I grew up is Hamlin New York, most people only know of it by Hamlin Beach State Park as we are right on Lake Ontario. The next thing we are known for is being a short 10-15 minute drive from Brockport NY, where SUNY Brockport is. That’s about all of our highlights.                                                  

This is my Squirrel- His name is Sammy

                Pretty much everyone is town has grown up there their whole lives, and some like me, move away eventually, but most come back. It’s oddly one of those places you come back to after years of being away. We have essentially 1 road that goes through the whole town, and a few very small roads to connect the farms and houses. We also only have 1 stop light in the whole town. That’s not something you get everywhere.

                So I thought that I can’t be the only person in my situation, moving to a larger city from a very very small, country, town. I know for me it was a rather frightening experience, so I thought it had to be for other people, and it would be great if I could possibly help out some people who are attempting to do the same thing. So I decided to write a Wiki How on Adjusting to big city living if you grew up like I did.

                I put down a bunch of “steps”. I put quotations on these because they are not necessarily steps, but they are more like guidelines on making your transition easier. I included things like finding grocery stores that are similar to yours at home, experimenting with public transportation and even things like going out and trying new things.
                I tried to write about things that were important to helping me transition. For instance, the grocery store. As small as it seems, it really is something that can make you more comfortable. I never stepped foot into a Wegman’s until I came to Buffalo. I grew up with Big M and IGA. I grew up knowing everyone who worked in the store, including the Butcher, who also happens to be my father. I could call and order something and never have to give my name, they knew me by voice. I could walk around the store and know everyone who was shopping there. They could be my teachers, my neighbors, and my relatives. I really was a place where you knew everyone.

                Experimenting with Public Transportation was probably the hardest for me. I grew up having a car, or having a four wheeler or snow mobile to get me places. My version of Public Transportation was having my friends pick me up on the way. Getting on a public bus was something that frightened me, but I was glad that I tried it, and even more happy that I had a car.
                Overall, writing this Wiki How was actually a really great thing. I was able to really put my heart into to try and make someone else’s life a bit easier. I am glad that I was able to write it, because I want people to know what it’s like living in such a small town! I didn’t have any bad experiences writing it, just was a little bit more work because I was by myself. I didn’t get locked out of mine like a few other people did, which is great. I really had fun writing it. I hope that people will read my Wiki How and they will take something away from it. Maybe it will make them more comfortable about their own transition into city living. And I even hope that some people who read it will miss their home, and maybe want to go back, even if it is just for a visit. I love when I go home, it really makes me happy, and makes me miss the simple style of living where you could strike up a conversation with someone walking on the street and it would be ok because you knew them, and would probably see them again later anyways.
                I think the whole Wiki process is a brilliant thing. Being able to post your own stuff on the web, that can potentially really benefit other people is awesome. It's so simple, yet so technically advanced. It allows for a very easy editing program so that virtually anyone can make their own sites with no knowledge of html or editing at all. It creates a user friendly type of system. It gets people involved in different ways, whether you are writing, editing, or just browsing. I feel that the whole Wiki process was created by something with the intention of bringing people from different backgrounds, educations, religions, ethnicities, and internet knowledge together to form one collective database.
                I hope everyone can experience this type of living once in their life time, where you can actually relax, and enjoy the company of friends, and you won’t be bothered by traffic, by phone calls, or by rude people. You can sit out by a campfire with just two friends, and an hour later there is thirty of you there all laughing and having a great time. It’s something I will always cherish and hope that I can hold with me for the rest of my life, and I secretly wish to move back there when I am done with college, but I don’t think my boyfriend will like that very much.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I spent the first 14years of my life living in Lancaster, but then my family moved out to Eagle (which is near Arcade) and I know exactly what you mean about small town. Honestly, you can't even see any houses from my house. When I first moved back to Buffalo to attend school I was very nervous. Even though I spent 14 years in Lancaster, time had passed and I forgot what it was like to live in a populated area. I was use to not locking my car and leaving the keys in the ignition while I was in school. For someone to break into your car and steal something was unheard of. Everyone knew each other as you stated. Reading your blog reminded me how I can't wait until next year when I graduate and can move back to my area permanently. I think your WikiHow could of really helped me, back during my Freshman year... but I know it will help some people as they make the scary transition from country to city. It was really interesting...good topic!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree! I NEVER locked my car, or even rolled up the window when I was at school or home. We don't even have a lock on my house at home. The door stays open all the time for our cats to come in and out, and it's the norm. I'd go visit friends houses and just walk in because I knew it was never going to be locked! Now moving out to buffalo I've had my tires slashed twice, my brand new 2010 car keyed a month ago, and many bad things happen. I want to go back to living in a nice town where people are friendly and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweeeet..I used to live in countryside as well, but I moved to a city in my same prefecture in Japan. I didn't know that squirrels can be unafraid and friendly to people like that since they seem so sensitive and timid. Some people might say, "You cannot post anything from your mind, but from something based on official research or resources. Who publishes encyclopedia?--scholars or university professors, right?" However, the Internet is such a huge community and people are not able to follow every single rule, even though they are trying to. There is always a contradiction. I guess there is always people who are anti or or too protective about stuff. Now, I am thinking of training squirrels around this area, and I miss my hometown a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure a lot of people actually go through what you're going through and reading a wiki might make them realize they are not alone. I never lived outside of Buffalo so I haven't yet experienced life outside of here, besides vacationing, but having some insight would help when i do. Wiki is very helpful for many reasons and you posting your wikihow will certainly help someone at some point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you created a wiki page other students or people can benefit from when moving from a small town to a city. I'm sure everyones experience of making that move is a bit different however your page will give them some insight and maybe some inspiration while going through the process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your wiki and your post is very interesting. I can relate to the transitioning when it comes to switching locations. I live in the city and everything is fast paced and nothing like buffalo. i really dont know how i survived so far but having my mom support me in making me feel comfortable as best as possible. I would read your wiki and probably put an input.

    ReplyDelete